1. Ask Allāh (ﷻ) to enable you to reach Ramadan and to get the most out of it as the Salaf (early generation of pious people) used to do.
2. Intend to fast every day with Iman and pure intention seeking the reward from Allāh (ﷻ) alone. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Whoever fasts in Ramadan with Iman and seeking reward (from Allah) his past sins will be forgiven”. (Bukhari)
3. Read the whole Qur’an at least once as the Prophet (ﷺ) did.
4. Have Suhoor as the Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Have Suhoor because it is blessed”.
5. Make Du’a during the fast because the Prophet (ﷺ) said that three people’s supplication is not rejected one of them is the fasting person. Ask for the good of this life and the next for yourself, your family and Muslims in general.
6. Make Du’a before opening the fast. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “The fasting person has a supplication that is answered when he opens his fast”.
7. Give Sadaqah and be good to people. The Prophet (ﷺ) was the most generous of people and he was most generous in Ramadan.
8. Avoid anything that diminishes the fast such as, lying, backbiting, cheating, getting angry. The Prophet (ﷺ) said “Whoever does not give up false statements (i.e. telling lies), and evil deeds, and speaking bad words to others, Allah is not in need of his (fasting) leaving his food and drink.” [Bukhari]
9. Do not eat too much after Iftar.
10. Ask for forgiveness since this is the month Allāh (ﷻ) frees people from the fire.
11. Pray At-Tarawih with Khushoo. If you pray in the Masjid complete the Salah with the Imam. If you pray at home prolong the Salah as long as you can. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Whoever prays during Ramadan with Iman and seeking reward (from Allah) his past sins will be forgiven”.
12. Feed the poor and invite others for Iftar. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “Whoever gives Iftar to someone fasting he will have the same reward without decreasing the reward of the person fasting”.
13. Try harder the last ten nights especially the odd nights. The Prophet (ﷺ) would strive in Ramadan more than he would in any other month and more so in the last ten days.
14. Say this Du’a in the nights that Laitul-Qadr is likely to fall on: Allhumma innaka afuwun tuhibbul-afwa fa’fu anni (O Allah you are Forgiving and love forgiveness, so forgive me).
15. Ask Allāh (ﷻ) to accept all your good actions during this month.
“Oh you who believe, what is the matter with you that when you are asked to march forward in the cause of Allah you cling heavily to the earth. Are you pleased with the life of this world rather than the Hereafter but little is the enjoyment of the life of this world as compared with the Hereafter.”